History (2)

The Ilford War Memorial Hall, c.1927

Despite the demolition of the hospital the Memorial Hall remains standing and is situated in the north-east corner of the Gardens.

The interior of the Hall records the names of Ilford's war dead from the Great War.

Both the Memorial Hall and the Monument are on the statutory list of buildings of architectural or historic importance (Grade II).

...Go back  More...

The Children's Ward - known as the Walter Stevens Wing after the Chairman of the War Memorial Fund Committee - and Memorial Hall were opened on 25 June 1927 by Lady Patricia Ramsey (formerly HRH Princess Patricia of Connaught).

The Children's Ward, together with the rest of what became the King George V Hospital, was demolished in the late 1990s. In its place was built the Newbury Central East residential development.

Memorial Hall Interior

The interior of the Memorial Hall records the names of the 1159 men of Ilford who died in the Great War.